DC is preparing for the emergence of self-driving vehicles. The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Working Group, established by Mayor Bowser in February 2018 (Mayor's Order 2018-018), engages in peer-to-peer learning with national and local stakeholders to explore the implications and potential of autonomous vehicles for equitable, sustainable, and safe mobility; accessibility; workforce development and employment; and a range of other issues.
The Working Group is comprised of representatives from:
- Office of the City Administrator
- Office of the Deputy Mayor for Operations and Infrastructure
- Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- District Department of Transportation
- Office of Planning
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency
- Metropolitan Police Department
- Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Department of Energy and the Environment
- Department of General Services
- Department of For-Hire Vehicles
- Office on Aging
- Office of Disability Rights
Members of the public and industry stakeholders also participate.
In January 2017, the District became a member of the Bloomberg Aspen Initiative on Cities and Autonomous Vehicles, a group of global cities that has produced a set of principles and tools to plan for driverless technologies.
The District's AV Working Group has developed an AV Principles Statement more specific to the District’s needs and opportunities. In doing so, it recognized the need for a flexible approach in preparing for the opportunities and challenges of autonomous vehicles. The principles allow the District to embrace innovation when it benefits residents and visitors, and to highlight the importance of adaptability and learning from governmental peers.
The Working Group also developed an AV Agency Impact Matrix showing which District agencies will be involved in the various components of the District’s AV landscape. For instance, six agencies will be directly involved with AV driver and passenger safety, and another set of agencies will be involved in AV environmental sustainability and impacts. The AV Principles Statement also references the impact matrix.
For more information and access to previous agendas/presentations visit our Gitbook site.