The Automated Traffic Enforcement (ATE) Task Force was established in March 2023 by Mayor’s Order 2023-046. The Task Force is an advisory body that will research and provide recommendations on the District's ATE program and other moving violation laws, policies, procedures, and practices, including the fine schedule and financial penalties for late payments.
The goal of this work is to mitigate against the potentially inequitable effects of the fine, penalty, and enforcement systems on individuals of varying household incomes while maintaining the public safety effectiveness of ATE and other moving violation programs.
The Task Force is made up of nine representatives from the Mayor’s Cabinet or their designee(s):
- DC Chief Equity Officer (co-chair)
- The Deputy Mayor for Operations and Infrastructure (co-chair)
- The Office of the City Administrator
- The Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice
- District Department of Transportation Director
- DC Department of Motor Vehicles Director
- Department of Public Works Director
- Metropolitan Police Department Director
- Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs Director
The Task Force will invite participation from other agencies and offices, the DC Council, the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, and other non-governmental organizations as needed.
The Task Force will deliver two reports to the City Administrator:
- An initial report by September 30, 2023, that includes:
- A list of the Task Force's priorities for research and review
- A workplan consisting of a timeline of the Task Force's planned activities and meetings
- Any initial Task Force recommendations
- A final report by September 30, 2024, that includes recommendations on changes to the following areas, designed to make ATE and other moving violation programs and their fines, penalty, and enforcement aspects, more equitable:
- Existing laws, regulations, or policies
- Other administrative reforms
- Fines and penalties
- Fine and penalty payment methods
- Any other Task Force recommendations
- Identifying the resources needed to implement each recommendation
The reports will be posted to this page when available.
Next Meeting Monday, September 18, 2023, 1-2 pm
- Call to Order, Welcome
- Old Business
- Standing Agenda Items
- Subcommittee report
- Other business
- Time for public questions and comments
How to View
- Via this link
- Webinar number: 2311 019 0270
- Webinar password: VMmkrS8Sx57 (86657787 from phones and video systems)
- To join by phone: +1-202-860-2110; Access code: 2311 019 0270
Full Task Force meetings are open to the public. Tentative agendas with call-in details of future meetings will be published as soon as possible.
- Monday, August 7 , 2023: Recording is here: August 7, 2023 ATE Task Force recording. See attachment section below for PowerPoint presentation.
- Monday, July 10, 2023: Recording is here: July 10, 2023 ATE Task Force recording. See attachment section below for PowerPoint presentation.
- Monday, June 5, 2023: Recording is here: June 5, 2023 ATE Task Force recording. See attachment section below for PowerPoint presentation.
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023: Recording is here: May 2, 2023 ATE Task Force recording. See attachment section below for PowerPoint presentation.
For more information, please reach out to [email protected].
Meetings of the Task Force are conducted in accordance with the Open Meetings Act (D.C. Code §§ 2–571 through 2-580). If you have any questions or concerns regarding a Task Force meeting, please contact [email protected] Questions or complaints regarding the Task Force's compliance with the Open Meetings Act may also be addressed to the Office of Open Government at [email protected].